Sunday 22 October 2017

The Wheelchair


On occasion I use a wheelchair to help me get about. It is an amazing tool which provides me with freedom that pain often constrains. The difference in the way some people treat me when I use my chair is fascinating. This poem explores two regular experiences that really get under my skin; calling me a wheelchair and refusing to allow me to pass. My response to the second is childish but...

The Wheelchair

The accident damaged my legs
sometimes I use a chair
it's a tool, it gives freedom
but at a cost.
It costs my humanity.
No longer am I a man....
The mother to her child
"mind the wheelchair",
the flight attendant,
"we've got one wheelchair"
the police man,
"make way for the wheelchair,"
the youth in the pub
"mind your back wheelchair coming through".
Not the man - the wheelchair
The man is invisible,
society doesn't do disability.
it tries to ignore,
makes people vanish.
You get used to it, I'm almost immune;
almost!
but sometimes, I snap.
the polite "excuse me" deliberately ignored
leaves me trapped by a wall of legs.
The chair gets a mind of its own
control slackens from expert to disabled
the wheel 'accidentally' rolls over a foot
and in that instant I'm not a wheelchair
I'm the “bastard”
noticed, then grudgingly forgiven
because I'm just a wheelchair!

John Carré Buchanan
15 October 2017


If you click on the link below you can listen to me read this poem.


14 comments:

  1. Well said. We were taught in my field of foster care for adults with intellectual disabilities to not say So and so is disabled, but so and so is a person with disabilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Colleen, both for your comment and your understanding, all people are people after all!

      Delete
  2. Hmmmmm.....I know from reading you that you think that most people are good.This is a delusion. None of the behaviour you are subjected to surprises me at all. You should get big spikes attached to the wheels and use them like the Roman charioteers did:)You know I think I would have been a great Major General ...yep me and Hannibal think alike...I have some great warfare ideas :)Also Monty Python humour is terrifying to the average person. Get a large sabre ...start waving it around while singing Gilbert and Sullivan" Behold the Lord High executioner" ....that should do the trick.The poets will do a whip around and send lots of cakes (wink wink nudge nudge) if they lock you up:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rallentanda, I'm not sure if you have read my poem the Charioteer! but great minds have thought alike, unfortunately my get away isn't as fast as it used to be!

      Delete
  3. Smashing, John. Full of insight from your having to live it, the poem provides the rest of us with an illuminating glimpse into the world of those with disability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard, Thanks for your comment, I'm glad I manage to give you a small glimpse.

      Delete
  4. I am noticing more and more the insensitive things we say....I know for me many times not meaning to, but nonetheless it dehumanizes people. I loved this important lesson I need to hear....and I love your problem solving when people continue to ignore....I am not sure I would be tolerant enough to just run over their foot....perhaps a few shins would be battered as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna, Thanks for your comment, I am glad that you heard the message. I can assure you that a 90kg (200lb) chap balanced on your foot on a rock hard low profile tyre is just as painful as a clipped ankle or shin! Thankfully this one is not too common an event!

      Delete
  5. Sadly, too many are guilty of "mind the wheel chair". Such a powerful write, John. Catch up later on this evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julian, thanks for your comment, looking forward to Open mic too.

      Delete
  6. Great poem. I can’t say I am surprised by the dehumanising comments, but I am still annoyed. I agree it’s a strong piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tim, thank you for your comment, Your support is very much appreciated.

      Delete
  7. This is a good poem. I love the part where you accidentally dish out some retribution. Why? Because it feels real and sounds exactly what I would do in that situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi The Bizza, Thank you for your kind comment, glad you liked the poem.

      Delete

I really appreciate constructive feedback. If you are able to comment it would be most grateful.